The desire to become a citizen of the United States hits many individuals every year. You, like many others, have likely lived in the country for an extended period of time and have come to consider this nation home. However, you may still feel as if your lack of citizenship has kept you from feeling completely at home. This feeling does not have to last forever as you may have the opportunity to go through the naturalization process in order to obtain citizenship.
In order to complete the process, you must go through several steps. Though the idea of taking the first steps toward citizenship may seem intimidating, you may feel a great sense of accomplishment once you come out on the other side.
In order to determine whether you can begin the naturalization process, you must meet certain eligibility requirements, several of which pertain to timing, such as:
- Having a green card for a minimum of five years
- Having lived in the United States continually for the five years before filing your Application for Naturalization
- Having a physical presence in the United States for a minimum of 30 months before filing your application
- Having lived for a minimum of three months in your district of application
You must also meet certain personal requirements in order to gain eligibility for naturalization. These requirements include:
- Having reached the age of 18 by the time of your application filing
- Having the ability to read, write and speak English
- Knowledge of basic United States history and government workings
- Having good moral character
- Understanding and acceptance of ideals based in the U.S. Constitution
If you meet these eligibility requirements, you can then take the next steps toward completing the naturalization process.
After determining your eligibility, you must then complete and submit your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. The application consists of several parts, and you may fear that you will not complete the application correctly. However, you should not let fear of mistakes stop you from filling out your forms as you do have options for help.
In order to ensure that you understand all parts of the naturalization process and fill out your application correctly, you may wish to obtain professional assistance. An experienced Massachusetts immigration attorney can help you review your case and walk you through each step of the process. By having a legal professional on your side, you may feel more confident as you work toward obtaining the citizenship status you so desire.